THE LEARN TO RIDE PROGRAM FOR 2021 MAY OR MAY NOT RUN, DUE TO COVID-19. Our priority is keeping your family and our volunteers safe.
Register Here for Learn to Ride!
Our Learn to Ride program is an evidence based cycling course designed to teach children with coordination challenges or other special needs how to ride a two-wheeled bicycle without training wheels. This program has been supported by Bike Edmonton since 2003. Over the course of six sessions, children with no previous success at riding a bicycle develop the skills and confidence to ride unassisted. We accept children 8 years old and up regardless of diagnosis (or lack thereof), and have a very high success rate. A referral by someone familiar with motor development and of the program (e.g. school physio or occupational therapist) is required. Courses are also offered in several other communities across the province.
You Can Ride Two was initially conceptualized in 2001 by a paediatric physiotherapist. The program continues to be improved with partnerships with other health professionals (e.g. speech pathologists and occupational therapists), cycling educators, mechanical experts, and the expertise of the parents and children we work with. It is strongly based on motor learning theory and in 2014, a research project looking at teaching cycling to children with a cognitive disability was completed. We are always looking for volunteers and appreciate feedback.
Learning to Ride a two-wheeler
Who can access the program?
- Children over the age of 8 that are not yet able to ride a 2-wheeler without training wheels
- Able to pedal independently, without pedal modifications
- Able to brake, steer and follow directions
- Able to walk without walking aids (e.g., canes, walker)
- Sees a medical professional such as Physio or Occupational Therapist. Email email@example.com if a therapist isn’t involved.
What do I have to do to register?
- PART 1: Go to youcanride2.ca and sign up after January 3, 2021 at 12:00 PM.
- You will need the name and contact information of a therapist (OT, PT), Adapted PhysEd consultant or clinic coordinator (e.g., nurse) that would know your child enough to fill out a referral. An email will automatically be sent to them once you register.
- If you do not have a therapist working with your child, please contact us.
- PART 2: You will need to attend an assessment to ensure your child meets the criteria for this program.
What is the cost of the course?
- The full cost to participate in the course is $125, of which only $25 is non-refundable.
- All children will be fit with a harness. Families can be refunded/receive a tax receipt for $100 if they return the harness on the final day of class.
- Families experiencing financial difficulty can apply for a full or partial sponsorship.
- NOTE: bikes may also be available through Sport Central.
Where is the course located?
- The address of the assessment and orientation prior to the class starting is 11415 168 Street in the Community Engagement Centre of the Goodwill Impact Centre.
- Our Learn To Ride course will run out of the parking lot at Goldbar Park.