Who is eligible to borrow a bike?
- Children with a diagnosis that makes riding standard bicycles difficult. (NOTE: children who could ride a bicycle with training wheels are not eligible).
- Ages 3-18
- Lives in Edmonton and surrounding areas (within 2 hours according to Google maps)
- Families must be able to transport the bikes to and from fitting/ return days and have a space to safely store the bicycle (indoors only).
How do we register?
- go to our Registration Page to register
- Therapist referrals (OT/PT/ APE) are required for a child to borrow a bike; an email will be sent once parents register.
- If you do not have a therapist working with your child, please contact us.
What is the process?
- Registration by parents/ guardians (bikes are assigned based on the order registration is received)
- Referral completed by therapist
- Attend Try a Bike day on March 6, 2017 (11415-168 St)
- If we have a bike that meets your child’s needs, you will be notified by March 8, 2017 and invited to make an appointment to attend a fitting day (March 12, April 8, 2017)
- Bikes are assigned based on information provided and fit to your child by a team of therapists and mechanics
- You will be taking the bike home following the fitting day.
What is the cost?
- A $100 refundable deposit + a $75 rental fee (or 4 hour volunteer commitment) is required.
- For qualifying families, Kid Sport will cover the cost of the deposit. You must register for this and are still required to complete a volunteer commitment in place of the $75 rental fee.
How long do we get to keep the bike?
- Bikes are loaned out between spring fitting days (between March and May) and the fall return day (typically first Saturday in October)
Further information can be found under frequently asked questions.