Who is eligible to borrow a bike?
- Children with a diagnosis that makes riding standard bicycles difficult. (NOTE: children who could ride a bicycle with training wheels are not eligible).
- Ages 3-20
- Lives in Edmonton and surrounding areas (within 2 hours according to Google maps)
- Families must be able to transport the bikes to and from fitting/ return days and have a space to safely store the bicycle (indoors only).
How do we register?
- go to our Registration Page to register
- Therapist referrals (OT/PT/ APE) are required for a child to borrow a bike; an email will be sent once parents register.
- If you do not have a therapist working with your child, please contact us.
What is the process?
- Registration by parents/ guardians (bikes are assigned based on the order registration is received)
- Referral completed by therapist
- If we have a bike that meets your child’s needs, you will be notified by early March and invited to make an appointment to attend a fitting day (March 11, 2018 and April 7, 2018)
- Bikes are assigned based on information provided and fit to your child by a team of therapists and mechanics
- You will be taking the bike home following the fitting day.
What is the cost?
- A $25 administration fee +$100 refundable deposit +a $75 rental fee (or 4 hour volunteer commitment) is required.
- For qualifying families, Kid Sport will cover the cost of the deposit and administration fee. You must register for this and are still required to complete a volunteer commitment in place of the $75 rental fee.
How long do we get to keep the bike?
- Bikes are loaned out between spring fitting days (between March and May) and the fall return day (typically first Saturday in October)
- A school borrowing program is also available on a pilot basis between November and February.
Further information can be found under frequently asked questions.